The way you wake up sets your tone for the rest of your day. It is super important to start out on a happy and energizing note. Here is my morning routine to get my day off to the best start possible.
- Sleep in (lol) But seriously, sleep is SO important for your health! It might sound unachievable but if you really want to reap all of the benefits of sleep (stress reduction, weight control, lower cortisol levels, mood regulation, beauty!) you need at least 8 hours. Sleeping is the time your body unpacks and detoxifies itself. Your body will thank you tenfold later on!
- Stretch. Get your circulation flowing and ease any tension built up over night before getting up.
- Put down your phone. Try to start the first 20-30 minutes of your day without checking your email or Instagram. You are so much better off letting your mind wake up without the constant updates and work reminders. If you find you have free time in the morning where you are super tempted to use your phone, try reading a book in the morning instead of scrolling IG.
- Glass of water with lemon. Flush your body with a large glass of water and little added lemon juice.
- Morning workout. Working out in the morning makes me so happy and productive for the rest of my day. I like to do cardio so I usually hit a morning spin class.
- Fuel. I usually make a smoothie (with blueberries, bananas, spinach, vital proteins, peanut butter, almonds and almond milk) and a veggie omelette or avocado toast. Lastly, I make a foamy chai tea latte (that tastes better than Starbucks!) with a dash of this amazing chai tea mix, frothed almond milk + my espresso machine.
- Hot shower.
- Dry Brush. After getting completely dry, I dry brush starting at my toes, working in upward strokes towards my heart. I do circular motions 5x on areas with lymph nodes (under armpits, sides of neck, pelvic region, behind knees) to increase lymphatic drainage. To learn more about dry brushing check out this article.